[Bska] Skat at MSO-10

Nick Wedd nick at maproom.co.uk
Thu Jul 13 17:59:58 EDT 2006

Dear Skat-player,

I am posting the following on behalf of David Parlett.  He has failed to
post it himself because of a technical problem, which we are looking
into.

"I" in the text below refers to David.

Nick

Dear Skat-player

The next British Skat Association Synchron tournament will take place at
our usual London venue, the Rising Sun, on Saturday 2 September. The
organiser will be Mike Tobias, and he will be calling for entrants in
due course.

This message is to remind you that on the immediately preceding Monday,
28 August (Bank Holiday), we will be organising a Skat tournament as
part of the 10th Mind Sports Olympiad. Some of you will know that the
BSkA has its origins in tournaments held the first four years of the MSO
when it originally took place in London. For the past few years it has
taken place in Manchester, but so few players turned up for Skat in 2003
that we subsequently decided not to participate. This year, however, it
reverts to London and will take place over the period 26 August to 3
September on the University of Westminster Marylebone campus near Baker
Street underground station.

When I announced this a few months ago eight players said they would be
interested in taking part. I hope that still applies, and that more will
join in. I will be the arbiter for the MSO Skat tournament, but please
note that in order to participate you will need to register directly
with the MSO, not through me or the BSkA (though of course it would be
very helpful if you could also let me know when you have done so or that
you intend to do so).

Here are some useful bits of information taken from the prospectus.

The event is designated the Skat Olympiad Championship and has the
identification code SK-OC.

It takes place on Monday 28 August from 09:30 to 17:30 (enabling players
who may wish to do so to stay for the Poker tournament in the evening).
The entry fee is 16-GBP (or 12-GBP for juniors under 19 on 26 August and
students with ISIC cards only). There will be trophies (not medals)
awarded to the top three players. There are no cash prizes unless an
independent sponsor is found.

More information is available from
http://www.msoworld.com/
which is in course of reconstruction.

There is an Olympiad contact number at 07973 516718.

Spectators are welcome, without charge, but may be restricted in some
areas where silence is important.

The MSO is a strictly non-smoking event. Designated smoking areas are
outside the buildings.

Accommodation is available close to the venue at Marylebone Hall for
21.75-GBP per person per night (room only). To make a booking contact:
Maggie Pollard, Commercial Services, 35 Marylebone Road, London NW1 5LS
Telephone: 0207 911 5856 Fax: 0207 911 5037. Please remember to quote
Mind Sport Olympiad to gain this special rate.

I do hope to see you there.

--
David Parlett
President, British Skat Association