[Bska] Skat tournament in London - Sunday 1 June

Nick Wedd nick at maproom.co.uk
Tue May 20 13:10:53 EDT 2008

Dear Skat-player

The next BSkA Skat tournament will take place on Sunday 1 June at The
Powerhouse Sporting Club (also known as the Gutshot Poker Club), 44-48
Clerkenwell Road, London, EC1M 5PS. The nearest underground station is
Farringdon. Its web site is
http://www.gutshot.com/e/card_club/cardclub.php

For a change, for this one tournament, we will use the rules of Tournee
or American Skat instead of modern German Skat. This game is in essence
the version of Skat that was played in Germany around WW1 and was taken
to America by emigrants, who never adopted the changes made to the game
and rules in Germany.

Play will start at 11:30am with a short tuition and practice round
lasting about 1 hour, then a break for lunch, then three sessions of
duplicate Skat, lasting about 90 minutes each, aiming to finish by
6.30pm. Further details may be available on the BSkA web site or feel
free to ask any questions by replying to this message.

For those who have not played this version of Skat, the card points and
play of the hand are the same as the modern game, but some of the
contracts and all the contact values are different. You can read the
rules at: http://www.pagat.com/schafk/skat.html#tournee

I would be grateful if you could let me know a few days in advance
whether you plan to take part, so that we can inform the club what
players to expect and know what prizes we can afford. You can email me
by replying to this message or call me on 020 7706 0582. People who have
not registered in advance are still welcome to enter by coming to the
Powerhouse Sporting Club on the day. You can be admitted to the club as
a guest and we will and we will do our best to include you in the
tournament.

On the day, please try to arrive before 11:15. If you will be arriving
later than this, please call my mobile 07952 304718 or send a message to
let me know at what time you expect to be there (this applies whether or
not have registered in advance). Players who do not appear or send a
message by 11:15 are not guaranteed a place in the first session.

This is our second tournament in this venue. It is a private members'
club with a bar and restaurant (the food was very good last time) and
facilities for other games as well (including poker). Membership of the
Powerhouse Sporting Club is free, and you are welcome to join, for which
you will need to bring photo ID. However, you do not need to be a member
of the Powerhouse Sporting Club to play in our Skat tournament.

Both members and non-members will pay an admission charge of £3 on the
door.  This is in addition to our usual £5 entry fee for the tournament.

Looking forward to seeing you on 1 June.

[posted on behalf of]
Noel Leaver
n.leaver at btopenworld.com
[by]