[Bska] Skat hands from October event

Nick Wedd nick at maproom.co.uk
Thu Nov 4 07:34:50 EDT 2010

The deals from our October Duplikat Skat event are now on the web site,
thanks to Patrick Phair, at
http://www.weddslist.com/skat/results/yc15/hands.xls

Of the 96 deals, 32 yielded the same result and the same contract at
both tables.  You may consider that this makes those deals a waste of
time;  I prefer to see it as evidence of consistently competent play.

The biggest swing was in session 4, board 14.  Forehand won the bidding,
picked up the skat, and held
   J    S D
   C    9 8
   H    A T 9 8
   D    A T 9 8
One declarer then made with schneider, the other then went off with
schneider against.  I did not watch the play at either table, but I can
guess what happened.  Both discarded the clubs.  The successful declarer
cashed his red suits, ruffing back in whenever he was ruffed, while the
unsuccessful declarer drew a round of trumps and lost control.
     This may have been skilful on the part of both declarers.  The one
who obtained the poor result knew he was behind and needed a big swing
if he was to win a prize.

Nick
Nick Wedd    nick at maproom.co.uk