[casual_games] languages... (that's an 's' at the end!)

Jason Van Anden robotissues at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 09:37:58 EDT 2005

On 10/7/05, Jonas Beckeman <list at jobe.nu> wrote:

> > Their business decision made software, books, time, IDEs and
> intellectual
> capital that I had accumulated over ten years somewhat obsolete (in the
> eyes
> of prospective clients), requiring me to re-invest time in learning things
> was previously expert in.

Except that in the interm I discovered the wonderful world of platform
independent programming, the power of VIM, less worry about the carpet being
pulled from underneath - BASICally the training wheel are off.

Sure I miss the intellisense and the excellent documentation (compared to
java and python). I don't miss the unsolvable mystery bugs, empty promises
and idiosyncratic syntax that makes me feel like I have no choice by MS.

As you've noticed, I'm totally hooked on .NET, so don't trust everything I
> say - but I think you'll find that you really don't need much books or
> classes to come a long way with .NET. It's just so much simpler and
> logical
> than previous environments. With the improved IntelliSense you can often
> even skip reading the documentation.
> About buying new IDEs, VS2005 Express editions will cost some 40 USD and
> probably contain the functionality you need (except for writing
> enterprise-class apps).

"Hooked" fit well. I felt that way for ten years. If you Google my name and
you will find an interview in VAR business where I was quoted singing their
praises similar to how you feel.

Jason Van Anden
http://www.smileproject.com