[casual_games] future of shockwave

Charles Parcell cparcell at toxictoy.com
Fri Oct 21 16:35:23 EDT 2005

A couple things here. First, the DirGames list is made up of developers
who not only use Director but also other technologies such as Flash.
Director just happens to be the main focus but there are threads that
talk about integrating Flash and other things.

Second, I want to point out that one big reason that Austin's previous
company saw larger downloads of Flash vs. Shockwave is partly due to it
being part of most OS installs. That alone gives it a very high
penetration percentage. Additionally, the Shockwave installer has had
some... issues such as having nearly 11 dialogs during the install
process, addition of Yahoo! toolbar, and redirecting to Shockwave.com
after install. There has been some recent changes to the install
process, such as trimming down the 11 dialogs to 5(?) and slimming up
the installer.

Just as an FYI, there is a Macromedia program where companies can
sign-up to get a Shockwave installer that has NO Yahoo! toolbar or
redirect to Shockwave.com. My understanding is that it is free but can
only be used to installer the player within the company (such via the IT
manager or via Intranets). Here is a link
<http://www.macromedia.com/licensing/distribution/>

Thirdly, Macromedia just this week had their annual developer
conference. During the conference the product manager for Director got
up and showed of several new things that the team has been working on.
That alone indicated that there is still company support for the
product, even though it might not be at the level of their golden child
Flash.

Of course the big unknown is what will Adobe do when they get the final
green light. My bet is that Director/Shockwave will not get shelved. But
that is just me. There are a lot of target markets that
Director/Shockwave hit that Flash currently does not.

Charles P.