[casual_games] RE: Business models

Brent Lowrie brent.lowrie at raremethod.com
Thu Sep 1 13:03:15 EDT 2005

Allen

My apologies for making Indie development sound second string. That
certainly wasn't my intention. Some of my best friends are Indie
developers. I obviously have a different definition for "Indie Game
Developer". Someone please help me out before I try to insert my other
foot in my mouth. Having said that, I am removing my shoe as I type...

I think of Indie developers as people with a day job outside of the game
development industry who are working on their own games in their spare
time with their own resources. Games they feel the commercial system
doesn't want to make, perhaps. That is very admirable and I respect and
applaud that. I'm sure not all Indie developers aspire to make money
from all their hard work in much the same way that many fine artists
have no intention of becoming a commercial artist. I trust there are no
parallels between the opinions of fine artists towards commercial
artists and the opinions of Indie game developers towards commercial
game developers and visa versa.

My point was that IF an Indie Game Developer (by my definition) wanted
to commercialize their game (make money in any way, shape or form as the
game would likely be kick-ass!) or gain recognition or exposure for
their labour of love on a grand scale, the information in this thread
might come in handy. Once again, I'm sorry if I demeaned the Indie Game
Development community in any way. I love making games and if I can make
a good living at it doing it full-time, I think that's pretty cool. Not
for everyone but its what I aspire to. Wait a minute, its actually my
job so I guess my aspirations have been realized! Would that be an
epiphany or a revelation?

Brent Lowrie
Games & Animation

RARE METHOD
500, 1812 4th Street S.W. Calgary AB T2S 1W1
P. 403.543.4500 x341 F. 403.532.3004
www.raremethod.com
games.raremethod.com

Strategic Interactive Marketing
Provoke Thought Direct Action Get Results