[casual_games] RE: negotiation costs

Lennard Feddersen Lennard at RustyAxe.com
Fri Apr 7 12:53:08 EDT 2006

Adeo, I come from a traditional game development background where, on
top of your royalty (10-30% in my experience, give or take, YMMV), you
get a real advance against royalties when you sign that first check with
a single publisher.  After Ryan drops his hard earned dough on a lawyer,
gets the contract wrangled and signs the deal, are you going to cut him
an advance check that covers those costs and maybe even some of the
costs of building his amazing game?

I haven't had a hit yet.  Maybe I never will work on a hit casual space
game.  Got another one in the works though, so hope springs eternal.  My
experience with portals is that you deal with lots of them, you get
checks for a few hundred a month (if that, some are falling far short of
that #) and, realistically, you have no recourse if they decide to
fiddle the books.  Let's take Tribal Trouble, a pretty successful indie
game from last year which has actually managed to net 60K (source
http://www.gameproducer.net/2006/04/...ribal-trouble/
<http://www.gameproducer.net/2006/04/06/sales-stats-tribal-trouble/>).
Few guys worked for a couple years being funded by the govt. of Denmark
so they could eat while building. the game.  Lets' say they sign with 10
portals and drop 2K (Ryans low end figure) on each contract.  1/3 of
their net, at 20K.  Those guys living on a subsistence wage, maybe, are
now making even less.  Hope they don't have a mortgage, wife or kids.
Anyhow.  What happens when they think they are getting screwed by a
portal located on the other side of the world?  How much to get a
judgement (not to collect, just a judgement), when they have to fly that
lawyer around to try and figure out what is owed, take the portal to
court, hopefully prevail (or they are likely on the hook for the portals
legal costs as well) and then try to collect.  Hope you wrote Zuma.

I saw another developer recently who reported a 2K net after he and his
team had worked for (as I recall) two years.  How happy would they have
been when those checks started showing up and they had spent the
additional 20K on portal contracts?

My advice?  If you want to develop in the casual space then read those
contracts carefully, drop that first game into the market to see what
you will actually earn (not what the NYT says you will earn if you have
written the next Zuma).  You may find that most portals aren't worth
spending 2K on.  The reality is that, in a cyber world, it is important
to be able to trust your business partners because the cost of recouping
lost $ almost always outweighs the actual $ lost.

I know what I'm talking about.  About 10 years ago I noticed that a game
that I had written in 1992 was still selling in the bargain bins - about
4 years after release - and I just couldn't remember getting any royalty
checks!  I spent the dough on a lawyer.  Got the friend rate,
thankfully, still dropped a couple K on what I guessed was a community
service project, didn't really expect to get my $.  Got a 56K judgement
and they went out of business.  The company was Cyberdreams, the game
was Darkseed.

My 2 cents, YMMV,

Lennard Feddersen
CEO, Rusty Axe Games, Inc.
www.RustyAxe.com

Lennard at RustyAxe.com
P. 250-635-7623 F. 1-309-422-2466
3521 Dogwood, Terrace, BC, Canada, V8G-4Y7