[casual_games] Game resolution

Ron lists at rzweb.com
Fri Apr 21 16:00:36 EDT 2006

 > - Flat panel displays: Many more people using them (I've seen data on
 > this) and (I haven't seen data on this) I worry that in the low-end
 > budget PC space, they are buying panels from Walmart or Target or
 > whatever, that have extremely poor filtering. So while your game might
 > run at 8x6, they might upsample it to the monitor's native res (10x7,
 > 12x10) but it'll look awful.

YES!  This is a huge issue.  I use a wide screen LCD monitor and when I
test my game in full screen it is stretched to fit the monitor (ugly).
The problem is that according to DX, the monitor can display 800x600
(which it can't...really).  Does anyone know if there a way for DX to
know if the mode you're trying to kick into can be displayed natively?

What I'd like is to do is display it as close as I can to the correct
ratio (1.33), but with black bars on the edges.  At least it will look
right.

More and more laptops are coming with wide screen displays and while
DVD's look great, our games are looking like crap.  This is one of the
reasons why I prefer playing in window mode.

Ron