[casual_games] Another Axe to Grind

Kirby, Neil A (Neil) nak at lucent.com
Thu Aug 17 16:53:25 EDT 2006

--- begin quote

Message: 3
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 14:28:32 -0400
From: "Joe Pantuso" <jpantuso at traygames.com>
Subject: Re: [casual_games] It's about time!

I don't disagree with anything said in this thread said so far.  But I'll
add a couple points;

1) There's obviously demand for GW on Windows.  Where is it?  If these other
guys can cook up a clone by now surely a port could have been done in less
time.

2) We all know by now that we've entered an age where the market can make
itself... i.e. there was obvious call for downloadable music and we all know
where that has taken things over time.  So this is inevitable on a popular
game that is simple enough to clone and for which there is nothing else to
fill the need.

--- close quote

All of us who get paid because IP exists should now take a moment to recall:

The owner of the IP is the one - the only one - who gets to make the call on what gets done with it and when, including never.

Right?

C'mon now, every one of us who has ever cashed a royalty check needs to nod yes.

We either own, in other words CONTROL, our IP, or we don't.  If we do own it, and it is ours, then the fact that ethically challenged of the world can break the law and rip it off does not mean that we should be pressured into yielding to their demands.  Is it my property, or the mob's property?  If we want to make money, we ought to ship product, to be sure.  Market demand is generally considered a blessing.  But there is no justification for "If you don't give me that, I'll take it."  It's wrong when it happens on the playground, and it's wrong when it happens to your living.

"Easy to rip off" is a nice way to avoid the fact that it is still a rip-off.

Or has our consumer culture made "Do without it" unacceptable?

Thanks for letting me rant. I'll switch to decaf now.

---
Neil Kirby              +1.614.367.5524        Hope is not a strategy
Lucent Technologies     nak at lucent.com         Prayer is not a process
6100 E. Broad St.                              Tuning is not a plan
Columbus, OH 43213      USA                    Chaos does not scale