[casual_games] Game development duration, any numbers?

Branislav Siles siles at atomontage.com
Sun Aug 27 11:23:04 EDT 2006

Hello,

I have two questions about game development duration depending on genre, previous experience, middleware used, etc.

First, has anybody of you created a 3D car-racing game using Torque Game or Shader Engine? Please provide me with any numbers (or links) on how many coder-weeks and/or scripter-weeks it took your team to finish it. It would be nice if you name the game or provide some other information about it (features, number of levels, previous experience of developers or what ever you find interesting).

Second, I am looking for ANY information about how long it takes (coder/man-weeks) to create a typical game of a specific genre and size (gameplay length, number of levels..). I know that this varies extremely between particular games and programmers/developers, but this is the case in any area of creativity and sure there are at least some numbers for many of them.

I will be thankful for any numbers or pure estimations, so if you have some experience in creating a small game of some genre and you know it took your coder 16 weeks to write the code, then this information is very ok for me.

Maybe, it would by useful to build a chart of estimations by genre and features of games (or real data for well-known titles)... any volunteer? :)

Thank you a lot,

Brano/Atomontage