[casual_games] A Response from Microsoft

Alex Amsel tuna at tunatech.com
Thu Dec 21 05:30:01 EST 2006

I think I speak for all of us when I thank Alex and others for their
efforts on the indie/casual community's behalf.

I find the situation bizarre to be honest. Whilst I understand having a
parental control system of some kind, it will always be very difficult
to do for 3rd party independent content downloaded from the web. The
brutal truth is that parental controls are meaningless on the context of
web games because anyone, aged 4 to 40, could go on to the same unrated
website with adult styled games content.

At retail there is a significantly bigger level of control, partly
because there is a certain level of expenditure required before software
can hit the shelves, and that means there is a scope for a proper
ratings system.

It's not a great solution, but can we install games in both the Games
Explorer and outside it? It may be messy, but it's the only thing that
would cover consumer expectations yet also protect the title from
disappearing.

Also, I'd like people to bare in mind that this doesn't just affect
casual games off the big portals, but also endless independent games
done commercially or by "back bedroom" developers. Some of these are
designed for children, and the profits are low. Parental controls would
become a major problem.

The rating system should allow parents to block games of a higher rating
than they allow, not block unrated games. I doubt any major publisher
would unrate their game just to get around this due to potential PR and
legal ramifications.

As for the general download and installation problems, I just see it
confusing users and lowering download rates for all types of software,
at least for a period of time. It's all very well saying users will get
used to it, but I disagree. Actually, users like quick and easy, so if
you hand out security or unsigned application warnings many users simply
won't take the risk in case they break something.

--

Alex Amsel
Tuna Technologies Ltd (Sheffield, UK)