[casual_games] PopCap developer needed urgently

Aaron St. John stjohn at goldengoosegames.com
Tue Feb 7 22:18:35 EST 2006

Jeff,

My company does a lot of its work w/Popcap's Framework and Flash. In my
opinion, after playing Squirrel Squabble and having ample experience on
both platforms I think you should consider Flash+Zinc as a possible
development alternative for this particular time crunched project.
In my personal experience, flash has been an excellent environment for
developing speedy prototypes/demos. I was able to learn flash and
produce a full featured casual title under a similar time crunch
(actually less!). I'm sure any of the students you have working on SS
could pick it up as quickly if the need was great enough (and they can
get it for a nice low academic rate $100).
Additionally, coupled w/zinc, flash demos/prototypes can quickly be
converted into solid distributable titles (w/ fullscreen).
The play of Squirrel Squabble seems simple enough that flash (especially
published as an .exe) could run it with acceptable performance on most
systems. Another interesting aspect of your title is that the art style
would lend itself well to a vector based format. Although flash works
perfectly well using imported bitmap art you might get some additonal
performance benifits by going vector  as well as a smaller distributable
file size (SS is 35megs yikes!). Finally, creating your game in flash
will make the development of the inevitable "web-version" a no-brainer.
Anyways, I did like the game, and would be interested in discussing it
with you further (even if you decide to stick w/ PopCap).

-Aaron