[casual_games] What is a Casual Game?

BRENT SILBY brent at def-logic.com
Tue Jan 3 21:52:37 EST 2006

I'd define a casual game as one that you don't have to devote your life to. I know that you can play doom for short periods of time, but it does have a storyline and it will take many short sessions to complete the game. Completion is often not the goal of a casual game. They are just time wasters.

I would define arcade games (the classic retro style from the 1980s) as casual games. This is because you play them for a few minutes and then walk away--perhaps never to play again. You wouldn't spend 2 days playing an arcade game trying to complete it because most don't have endings. They just keep going.

Puzzle games also fall into the "casual" category for much the same reason. They don't really have storylines, and the intention is not to spend 2 days trying to get to the end. They are diversions, that entertain you when you have a spare few minutes.

That's my take on the definition.

Cheers,
Brent.
DEF-LOGIC VIDEOGAMES