[casual_games] New Issue of Casual Games Quarterly is available

Phil Steinmeyer psteinmeyer at newcrayon.com
Mon Jan 9 18:59:57 EST 2006

I was very happy to see the data that iWin generously shared, but I'd be
interested in seeing data for a more 'typical' casual game before I drew too
many general conclusions.  Family Feud is a known franchise, with no other
casual games closely replicating either it's franchise or it's gameplay
mechanic, thus allowing it to charge a bit more, IMO.  (i.e. if it were just
another match-3 or Zuma clone, I think consumer resistance on price would be
higher, given that consumers have more alternatives.)

Second, F.F. as a game doesn't have much 'duration' - at least when I played
it.  There's not much depth and I got bored more quickly than I do for
typical casual games.  I quit after 20 minutes, and I suspect many users had
their fill for sure by 60.  30 minutes may in fact be better than 60, but
I'd like to see that proven out with a game with a continuing story and more
gameplay variety than F.F. before I would be sure of that.