[casual_games] Procedural rendering - again

Alex Saveliev alex at j2k-codec.com
Tue Jan 10 09:27:16 EST 2006

Hello James,

JCS> In the games I have worked on (such as Ricochet and Big Kahuna) we have what
JCS> I consider to be rich graphics in plentiful quantities. There is not a ton
JCS> of contents but we don't skimp on the content.  Most of the art is JPEG
JCS> compressed bitmaps and it ends up being about 35% to 50% of the overall
JCS> download size.

Did you consider JPEG2000? In the Ricochet there are lots of JPEG
artifacts that really annoy me (especially in the menu). Dinner Dash
is another example of over-compressed graphics (it looks rather bad, in
my opinion).

I've created a small, easy-to-use JPEG2000 decoder for myself and it
proved to be a good thing - you get 25-35% smaller graphics and less annoying
compression artifacts.

I am selling it now as a commercial product. It is a DLL but the static
linking will be available soon (for an additional price).

Take a look:
http://j2k-codec.com

I think it many interest many game developers. It has some game
developers oriented features (like J2K_Frames class).

Any suggestions are also welcomed :)

--
Best regards,
 Alex                            mailto:alex at j2k-codec.com