[casual_games] Top Download List

Phil Steinmeyer psteinmeyer at newcrayon.com
Wed Jan 18 12:46:59 EST 2006

I think with only one portal, the results would be wildly unrepresentative.

But, you don't need every portal to get a good sample of the market.

If we assume that the top 6-10 portals represent, say 70%+ of the market,
you probably only need about 4 portals reporting to extrapolate good data,
ASSUMING that some of the developers also share data with the reporting
agency.

Example:
The 4 reporting portals disclose to the tracking firm that Game X has sold
22,142 copies over a given period of time.

The developer, who has access to sales data from all sources (including
their own website), discloses that Game X sold 35,402 copies (across ALL
on-line channels), in that time.

The tracking firm computes that for Game X, the reporting portals constitute
62.5% of the market for Game X.  But the firm also averages this with
reports on other games and developers (not all games will sell equal
percentages via the different channels), and determines that overall, the
reporting portals constitute 59.3% of the market.  Then the reporting firm
can say estimate the total sales for any given game as

Reported sales * (1/.593)

arriving at a fairly meaningful 'total sales' figure.  This is probably
similar to what NPD, Billboard, and the movie industry do.  All it takes is
3-5 reporting portals and 3-5 reporting developer/publishers, and you should
have reasonably accurate figures.  And only the independent agency sees the
specific reported #s or even knows market share percentages of any given
portal (though a portal could determine it's own market share by dividing
it's sales by the projected total market sales).

The percentage that the reporting portals represent must be recomputed
periodically, as portals gain/lose share and/or new portals start submitting
data.

This way:
Everyone knows how big the market is, and how fast it's growing.
Everyone knows what the true hit games are, and how much revenue/sales
they're doing

Both of the above are helpful for business purposes and PR purposes.

In addition, every player can compare their internal numbers against the
industry numbers and see how they're doing vis-a-vis the industry as a
whole.