[casual_games] RE: Copycats -- What Can Be Done?

Adam Martin adam at mindcandydesign.com
Thu Jul 20 05:24:17 EDT 2006

Jamie Carlson wrote:

> Sure, but Dynasty is clearly trying to capitalize on the action/puzzle
> "chain-popper (as you called it)" fanbase which the release of Zuma
> helped cultivate in the first place. Anyone who downloads the game is
> doing so because they predominately enjoyed Zuma or Luxor, not because
> "they like dragons".  :)
>
> If a side-scrolling platform game (marketed at Casual gamers) came
> around with a 3D rendered "Portugese" plumber who came up on the title
> screen and said "Its-a me, Martino!"... well, then yes, I think that's a
> bit much.  :)

You see, I just call this "marketing" :). I get the impression you are
not a fan of marketing in it's more aggressive forms - but IMHO that's
not really an issue with the game, the designer, etc, that's an issue
with the kind of society and culture you live in.

I mean, seriously, what on earth is wrong with "trying to capitalize on
the ... fanbase which the release of Zuma helped cultivate"? That's what
games developers *should* be trying to do, especially indie studios - be
better at making money.

There's actually a pretty thick line IMHO between e.g. playing another
game then making your own one from scratch that would appeal to the same
market, but has to stand on its own, and theft: e.g. disassembling
another game and stealing the level files or sprites and dropping them
straight into your own game, or passing-off: e.g. calling your game
"Zooma" and using a very similar logo/graphic. But that's why there are
distinct, powerful, laws against those last two.

Adam