[casual_games] Games for women made by women?

Thomas H. Buscaglia thb at gameattorney.com
Wed Jun 7 13:24:02 EDT 2006

I have put some thought into this due to a game
based on ballroom dancing that I have been
working on.  I can not point to any specific
research but I swear I ;looked at some along the way.

One of the thing that should be considered is the
differences in play patterns whc\ich is probably
influenced somewhat by classic male and female
archetypes.  However, I think that much of this
is cultural as well.  This means that a 40 year
old target female who was raised before Xena and
other strong female warrior models may have a
different social component that ones raised on Lara Croft!

As for play patterns, the superficial approach
suggests that women prefer to cooperate rather
than compete.  Frankly I think this is bunk.  So,
the early "play with dolls" type of games.  I
think that Brenda \Alural actually paid for some
thorough research into girl play patterns back
when Purple Moon was fully funded.  Though from
the results, I am not sure how close it was to
the mask.  Besides, casual games, though targeted
to females, are not targeted to 0 year old females like Purple Moon was.

My personal experience is a bit more
fundamental.  My initial experiences of female
trial lawyers.  It seemed to me that men, being
culturally trained in the "Honorable Women often
have an "I fight to defend the nest" mentality,
wanting to not just win the battle, they want
their opponent to die in the process and then
stomp his bones into dust.  BTW I find this much
less so in newer women attorneys...

These are generalities and I do not intend to
imply that they are universal.  But her are my
thoughts on feminine game play. I think although
women are just as fiercely competitive as men
they prefer cooperative competitions rather than
face to face confrontational ones.  That's why I
felt that the ballroom dancing game would gave
good traction.  The players compete in pairs
against other teams.  An the game includes shopping of course!

Tom B

At 09:59 AM 6/7/2006, you wrote:
> > Give us a clue then, what games should men be building for women?
>
>Or, can you point to a casual game that is
>currently out there that has all the right elements?
>
>I've been dealing with this question since I
>started making games in 1985.  It's always been
>a bunch of men (or boys!) trying to make games
>that appeal to women.  But, I've known a lot of
>women game designers and programmers that don't
>do much better.  I've sat in design meetings
>where the female game designer runs through the
>same list of stereotypes (shopping!) that the
>guys do.  Is there such a thing as a game for
>women?  A movie?  A TV Show?  A book?
>
>While there are Movies, Books and TV Shows that
>have a high "female demographic", I suspect that
>the truly successful ones have a much broader appeal.
>

>Ron

¤º°`°º¤,¸¸,¤º°`°º¤¤º°`°º¤,¸¸,¤º°`°º¤
Thomas H. Buscaglia, Esquire
The Game Attorney
T. H. Buscaglia and Associates
80 Southwest 8th Street
Suite 2100 - Brickell Bayview Center
Miami, FL  33130
Tel (305) 324-6000
Fax (305) 324-1111
Toll Free 888-848-GLAW
http://www.gameattorney.com

Confidential:  This email contains communications
protected by the attorney-client privilege.  If
you do not expect such a communication from
Thomas H. Buscaglia, please delete this message
without reading it or any attachment, and then
notify Mr. Buscaglia at thb at intelaw.com of this inadvertent misdelivery.