[casual_games] Casual Games audience hardware survey ?

Jonas Beckeman list at jobe.nu
Thu May 4 09:17:44 EDT 2006

> Under most laws if I collect information from an end user, I
> must tell them in my privacy policy what information I am
> collecting and what I plan to do with it.  If a user doesn't
> wish to send the information I must give them the option to opt out.
> Using this tool, how could I let a user opt out of sending
> the information?

I think it would be the same rules that applies to standard data collecting
like deepmetrix or Google Analytics; IP, country/city, ISP, domain, browser,
OS, screen resolution etc that most people seem to collect. Gfx card / RAM
would probably not be different, but I guess one would have to check the
legislation of one's state/country.
But I wonder how many laws apply if you don't store the IP? Should be pretty
relaxed.

> If the information is collected at a centralized server, I
> would need the privacy policy for that site as well.

You don't have to send IP addresses etc, only the things we're interested in
as a community. Those would probably be
Country
gfx card
RAM
Screen resolution
Site URL
OS
.NET CLR version

I can't see that this would cause any concerns for personal integrity.

/Jonas