[casual_games] About Flash Wrappers

Cameron Owen thecoffeeboy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 20:34:56 EST 2006

You might also want to look into using browser based projectors. There are a
few programs around that will package HTML content into an executable
(mostly IE wrappers) and allow similar features (full screen, resolution,
local file system access) with the added benifit of being able to use the
browser itself for various types of HTML content that is generally quicker
to produce than Flash content such as help files, support pages, order forms
and so forth.

Screenweaver is also an open source projector tool with a lot of features
but I found the work-flow of developing with it to be very unproductive and
quicksome. It show a lot of promise with future development though.

For security, you might want to look into any possible Flash 9 options.
Flash 9 with action script 3.0 is compiled into a form of byte code which
will provide added security as it will be a little more difficult to
reverse-engineer. However, sooner or later someone will figure out how to
reverse-engineer F9 byte code as well (probably sooner).

The best option would be to approach various portals or your publishers and
see what they can offer in the form of DRM wrappers or consider hiring a
C/C++ developer to write your own. I know a few flash developers do this as
well as using a similar wrapper as a browser plug-in to protect their flash
games being played online.