[casual_games] Pathfinding

Dimitrios Bendilas - ZEFXIS d.bendilas at zefxis.gr
Thu Aug 30 14:22:20 EDT 2007

Hello everyone,

I hope this post is not very off-topic.
I have a programming question which I hope someone will be able to shed some
light on.

We are building a click-management game. Its core mechanics resemble Diner
Dash's.
We are trying to implement a pathfinding algorithm that makes sure our
heroine does not
pass through "tables" (they are not tables actually, but similar concrete
objects).

The main difference from Diner Dash in regards to pathfinding is that the
tables in our game
are spread in the screen in a much more random manner. Our heroine has to
avoid tables
and walk around them to go to the customers, who are located around the
tables.
The game is not isometric and it's not tile-based. It's like most
click-management games,
having a side-top "camera" view and some pseudo-perspective.

We are trying to figure out which is the best pathfinding approach here.
We tried A*, but the algorithm makes the sprite move in a zig-zag pattern
too much and the movement seems very unnatural.

Does anyone know what is a good approach for the pathfinding in such games?
Maybe someone that has developed a similar game can give us a hint?

Thanks a lot!
Dimitrios

Dimitrios Bendilas
Game Designer/Lead Developer