[casual_games] Res: Res: Tools for creating sound effects

Marty Plumbo me at martyplumbo.com
Mon Feb 5 10:03:11 EST 2007

Hey Jose,

My sounds workflow goes something like this:

1. Step One. Find a sound or snippet of a sound that is interesting
or close to a preconceived idea I have for the sound I want to
create. This can be as easy as finding an existing sound file (ie.
from FLASHKIT.COM or a like site, a "found" sound file, etc.). Or,
as almost-easy as making/recording the sound myself with voice or
objects at hand. Or, as not-quite-as-easy as isolating a small part
of an existing or recorded sound file. Or, as kind-of-demanding as
building a rough of the sound with a waveform generator. There's a
little bit of serendipity and luck in this step, especially when
using the latter two methods. I do all of this stuff on the Mac, so
I can't recommend any Windows apps, but I'm sure you can find something.

2. Step Two. Edit and add effects to get it just right. This step
can be easy to hard, depending on the sound editing software you use
and your facility in using it. On the Windows side, I like
SoundForge and on the Mac side, I like Audacity.

This is what's worked for me. Hope it helps.