[casual_games] Gameplay patents

Adam Martin adam.m.s.martin at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 14 14:13:04 EST 2007

On 14/02/07, Lennard Feddersen <Lennard at rustyaxe.com> wrote:

> I don't agree with your last sentence Adam. We got from Wolf 3d to

> Unreal Tournament - IMHO pretty clearly a good thing as far as FPS

> players are concerned - because id software did not (in fact, quite

> likely Carmack created some of his competitors with his amazing code

> release policy) stop future innovation and enhancement upon which

> consumers got more and better products that they seemed happy to

> purchase. Many people were employed and new and strong companies were

> built.

But ... how does that relate to what I said? I was claiming that
patents are not necessarily the solution to the problems whose
symptoms include large numbers of clones - rather than having a
central authority *ban* clones, I advocate individauls making better
games that outdo the clones, or make them not what people want (etc).