[casual_games] Why We Need Women

Michelle Bushneff michelle at planbenterprises.com
Thu Jan 11 21:05:10 EST 2007

Yeah to Vinny for having the courage to stick his neck out, and to Gamezebo
for publishing (and commissioning?) the editorial.

Personally I'm rather tired of the same opinions and rationalizations about
the low percentage of women in the game industry. It used to be that most of
the arguments were "women don't play games" (and if you look at the comments
on Vinny's piece, some still think that way). Now the industry can't deny
the playing *and* purchasing power of women, so the tune is changing.

Hmmm, reminds me of a certain president who has suddenly found humility now
that the opposing political party has power...

Bottom line, the industry needs more balance. Diversity at all levels (not
just creative talent!) would be a step in the right direction -- women,
minorities, older people, disabled people, etc.

> BTW, Will Wright is a man

He's also smart enough to work with/for a diverse group of people. Don't
forget about Claire Curtain (sims game designer), Lucy Bradshaw, and no
doubt others I'm not aware of.

--Michelle

"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most
intelligent, but the one most responsive to change." (Author unknown, often
misattributed to Charles Darwin)