[casual_games] Meet Publishers & Distributors AND Protect my IP ?... and other questions!

Michael Mei mmei at reflexive.net
Thu Jun 7 13:04:14 EDT 2007

Hi Eric...I wish you great success and I'll throw in my two cents.

1) NDA's are nice fundamentally. In reality they're typically hard to
enforce especially if it's an idea...how do you actually prove the publisher
didn't think of the idea right before they met with you. And if both parties
did sign a Mutual NDA...and the publisher so called breached the NDA...then
you'll have to file and legally pursue them and that can cost $$$. Can you
bank role the legal stuff?

2) You can easily search Google for the key phrase "Mutual Non-Disclosure
Agreement" and find some good ones.

3&4) To James Smith's response...what are you trying to do? Are you looking
for funding...and how much 50%,100%? Are you looking for Distribution
Representation? If you're looking for a Publisher to bank roll the
development, then more than likely the Publisher will ask for rights to the
IP and possibly the sequel.

At these "events" time is really really cramped. Publishers are meeting with
folks every 10-15 meetings per day for 3 days. So I suggest you try and
excuse the pleasantries and get to the point. Here's your idea...here's
what you're looking for?

For Example: Here's your game it's 50% done; it's playable. Your artist
just quit, and you need funding to finish it up and get it to market. You'd
like for the Publisher to help in all those areas. You should expect a two
prong approach. Get as much conversation going prior to the event via email
or SKYPE video (I love it by the way) and then close the deal at the event.
Or Initiate the conversation at the event and close the deal weeks later via
email or SKYPE video (did I mention I love it).

5) Be honest in your abilities and what you can deliver. As Jeremy Snook
mentioned...be yourself. This industry is still small and informal...so
take advantage of that.

Michael Mei
Business Development
Reflexive Entertainment
www.Reflexive.com
949-830-1903 x30

NOTICE: The information contained in this e-mail & any accompanying
attachment (s) is intended only for the use of the intended recipient (s) &
is confidential and privileged.