[casual_games] Point & Click Adventures

Kenton White k.white at thedistilway.com
Tue Mar 6 10:38:28 EST 2007

We've been having some success reaching a casual game demographic in the
serious games space (Bingo!) using a game reminiscent of the point and click
adventure. Players over 40 find the interface a bit awkward at first but
once they learn how to use it they find the narrative engaging.

One thing we have learned as that we can't fail any of our players. They
must be able to complete the game from start to finish in a sitting
otherwise they complain (vigorously). In our first design we had situations
where players could get stuck, a la the classic adventure games. This
caused many older players to just stop playing.

Also, we found that the whole story should be completed in about 15 minutes.
So we have now made 2 story tacks - one that can be completely in a short
time and another complementary track that motivated players can explore in
parallel. This expands the experience for those who want a longer game
without increasing the core story length.

Kenton White
CTO
Distil Interactive Ltd.
p 613.828.6800 ext 204