[casual_games] Res: Use of keyboard on casual games

Stephen Triche Striche at yatecgames.com
Thu May 31 19:15:00 EDT 2007

Which goes back to what Todd was saying, controls for "power users".

It some (perhaps narrow) sense, it is also up to us to increase literacy
for control schemes our user's are not currently familiar with, by
releasing AAA games that utilize them. By the same token we shouldn't
alienate them by not also including control schemes they are already
familiar.

Now granted, it would take a very specific design to do this well. It
needs to be playable with a mouse, but easier to master with keyboard
controls.

This is not a new issue, nor is it specific to casual games. Mice didn't
exist in early PCs; PC gaming started with the keyboard. Somehow, games
convinced us that the mouse worked well, perhaps better in certain
circumstances.

I think a very good comparison can be made to the first FPS games. I
played games like Wolfenstein and Doom fully with the keyboard, arrows
keys, ctrl, alt, and shift. I saw people playing with the mouse, but it
looked too hard, I was happy with the keyboard. I also saw that they
consistently kicked my...well, they won a lot :). By the time Quake came
around I got the message.

Now granted, it's not a perfect comparison; the early PC gaming audience
isn't necessarily the same as the early casual gaming audience. But, at
some point, both demographics are still human beings, so certainly there
have to be some behavioral similarities.

-Stephen Triche
Yatec Games
www.yatecgames.com