[casual_games] Crediting the Departed

Hal Barwood hal at finitearts.com
Fri Sep 28 18:46:34 EDT 2007

Personally, I think proper credits are a sacred obligation. No one's
contribution is ever diminished by generosity toward others who may have
contributed. I hope that the emerging IGDA guidelines will help us
arrive at an equitable modus vivendi.

On removing one's own credits -- in the movie biz, if you want to, you
can (generally). A writer who wants to drop in a placeholder, however,
to mark his territory anonymously as it were, needs to have a registered
pseudonym already on file with the guild. Directors used to have to
resort to "Alan Smithee," but those days, apparently, are over.

People who have left game projects early should be credited, in my view,
if they made real solid contributions, but not otherwise. Since those
of us formulating the credits are the ones left behind with the power to
do as we please, it becomes us to cultivate a certain spirit of
goodwill, don't you think? Certainly, that's how I operated at
LucasArts for many years.

We're talking courtesy here, but also livlihoods. One of the problems
of our form of entertainment is the fact that, unlike Hollywood, our biz
is embedded in mainstream corporate culture that wishes to anonymize its
worker masses. We shouldn't let that happen. Games aren't widgets,
they're creative endeavors, and creative human beings are individually
responsible for their existence.

Hal