[casual_games] Licensable engines for Club Penguin / Habbo style game

Matthew Ford matthew at fordfam.com
Thu Nov 13 00:39:05 EST 2008

Hello,

I am consulting a new company which is keen to make an online game much like
NeoPets, Habbo Hotel, or Club Penguin: a 2D, low-footprint, preferably
in-browser, cartoony online game for kids. Make an avatar, decorate yourself
and your room, chat, play mini-games, and the like. It will draw from a
compelling popular IP.

Though the company is capable of rolling its own solution, I have a feeling
there are good engines / platforms out there which can be adapted for this
purpose and save a lot of work. I had the impression that Habbo licensed its
engine to other companies; I dimly recall that My-Coke.com did just this.
But I may be totally wrong. The Habbo site does not reveal this option,
though perhaps I need to ski into Sulake's office in person. Road trip! :)

Does anyone have any leads on premade solutions which can be licensed,
adapted, and turned into the kind of game I describe?

Many thanks,
Matthew Ford