[casual_games] Advice on how to include voice over with downloadable games

Antonio Santamaria asantamaria at artech.ca
Thu Sep 18 10:58:54 EDT 2008

If I'm interpreting this correctly, you are asking whether to have a
single large executable, or use a self-extracting or installer to put
all the loose files on the drive.

When we've done this in the past, on the CD we relied on the Autorun or
lone exe in the root, and sometimes not required any kind of install
whatsoever. For downloadables though, we've typically used a
self-extracting exe, that called a simple installer or stub to add the
appropriate start menu icons, add/removes, etc, then extracted the app,
and the mp3's to an audio subdirectory from there.

For the Mac, you could make a dmg that packages it all together.

So basically, from the download point of view I'd be going with one
self-extracting file on either platform. Once downloaded, I'd
personally be installing a sub-dir for audio and data, and doing the
same (via dmg) for the Mac.

Tony