[casual_games] TOW: Distributed Teams

Robert Madsen madsen.robert at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 01:21:23 EDT 2012

Our entire team is distributed with members in several states. I am also
working on a project with members in different countries. The benefits, of
course, are low overhead and the ability for all team members to work from
their location of choice. The challenges are motivation and coordination.

Our main tools are Basecamp, Google Docs, Email, and Skype. Although one of
our team members swears by Google Hangouts I still think Skype has higher
quality and this is important for a team conference. I think Google docs is
the one tool we couldn't live without. Although there are some similar
tools, Google docs is the easiest to use regardless of software or prior
experience. The one thing that I miss most about working on location with a
large team is the camaraderie and the snack kitchen (though I really don't
need a snack kitchen)!