[casual_games] TOW: Had Enough

Bernard François bernardfrancois at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 02:52:26 EDT 2012

1)
Not being able to continue playing, because I have no idea where to go (or
who to talk to / which object to activate) next, and thus getting stuck in
a 'prison world' where nothing seems to be possible any more.

This happened to me in the best games - including Halo 1 (during the
intro level) and Mass Effect 1 (I managed to loose track of the character I
needed to follow, and couldn't find him any more).

In this kind of cases, I get discouraged and often don't even want to
reload to try again.

I know these games aren't casual, bur I can imagine that these things
happen to casual players as well (e.g. by getting stuck in an overly
decorated menu system, not knowing where to press to launch the game).

2)
An other one is not being able to pause a sequence where important story
information is being told, at a moment where someone in real life is
interrupting (e.g. by talking or ringing at the door).

Bernard

Sent from my phone

Op 26-mrt.-2012 om 20:07 heeft Sheri Rubin <sheri at designdirectdeliver.com>
het volgende geschreven:

Hi All,

It's time for another Topic of the Week - this time it's called "Had
Enough":

What sins must a game commit before you can no longer summon the willpower
to continue playing? Are there certain features, mechanics, story lines
that a game can have that makes you instantly stop playing it?

As always, if you have topic suggestions please email me at
sheri at designdirectdeliver.com.

Stay awesome!
Sheri

--