[game_edu] Mutual respect - WAS: loopy Proposal - The Aggies!

Darius Kazemi darius.kazemi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 11:48:43 EST 2007

That's a good point, Mark. Academia in particular bears the brunt of the
whole C.P. Snow "two cultures" issue, and that distinction doesn't really
exist in the game industry.

I think part of the issue with industry respect might be that no two
professional game developers I've worked with, or for, have had the same
list of qualities they'd like to see a college student graduate with. While
I personally might have tons of respect for School A and think that School B
probably graduates sub-par students, there are other developers for whom
those perceptions are entirely reversed.

For example, here in Boston, many of the game companies are biased in favor
of graduates who come from traditional universities and often traditional
degree programs. This is because many of the game companies here were
founded by graduates of MIT, Harvard, BU, WPI, etc. So naturally we
gravitate toward people with a background we can identify with and can
quantify in some way through our own experience. I've found the opposite
prejudice in other areas of the country, where many of the companies were
founded by "garage" programmers.

-Darius