[game_edu] Wanted: "Challenge" design exercise

Malcolm Ryan malcolmr at cse.unsw.edu.au
Mon Apr 7 03:08:13 EDT 2008

Hi, I was wondering whether anybody had a design exercise I might be
able to use for my class. I am teaching game design and I'm trying to
give them simple exercises which get them to solve small design
problems based on the various ideas we are discussing. These should be
tasks that they can do in a 1-2 hour class.

I need one for the topic of Challenge. The corresponding lecture
material is about Flow and the need to balance difficulty against
skill so that a game doesn't become boring or frustrating. I am
talking about the 'hierarchy of challenges' from Ernest and Adams'
book and various methods of increasing or decreasing the difficulty of
a challenge by adding other sources of power or stress.

I already have some analysis exercises in this area, but I can't think
of a simple design exercise which would get them to actually use the
ideas to solve a problem. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Malcolm