[game_edu] Education Membership and Chapters?

S. Gold goldfile at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 11:33:08 EDT 2008

So I have been giving a lot of thought to an idea I had at GDC and wanted to
get some feedback from the list to get their thoughts. This is very rough,
but hope that I might be able to get some useful feedback to improve upon
what it is we do. I must stress that this is just a feeler type of posting,
not an action item.

As we are all far flung from coast to coast, continent to continent, it is
rare, if ever we meet. When I went to Boston last year I found that there
were over 90 educators working in games in one area or another ­ all in the
same metro area. Now that is a lot of folks who have common interests.
However there was a lack of network and rarely if ever did they know one
another. The IGDA has chapters in some cities and even in those cities, not
all necessarily cater to the needs of educators or even allow students. Now
some schools have student chapters, however, those have no official ties to
our SIG although we try to provide them with information. My thought, what
if we create some sort of IGDA Education Chapter in areas that have more
than one school? A way to unify, if not help to create more bridges of
opportunity. I have no real formal suggestion for how to set these up. I
also don't know if this is something that we as a group want to do. I guess
I am throwing it out there to see if:
1. there is a need
2. how it would differ from an actual IGDA chapter
3. what you want from having an actual education chapter
4. where are some of the areas that would benefit from creating a chapter
(such as Boston or London or Sydney that have so many institutions in one
metro area)

My other question, again, just an informal query. Would there be any benefit
to creating Institutional Level Memberships. That is the institution would
get the membership for all faculty, possibly students, etc... for a certain
price. Very similar to the studio memberships they currently offer
(http://www.igda.org/studios/affiliation.php). Of course, I then have to
argue for the benefits of IGDA membership as an individual, since not all
listserv members are currently members (plug to please join). As I see great
value in being part of a professional organization. I am a true believer in
the idea of community which is what I believe the individual cost of $48 USD
is really about, supporting that network and infastructure, the listserv and
forums, promoting games as good not evil, etc... However, would an
institutional membership bennefit our universitites and colleges? Would they
actually pay for them? Would this help solidfy and unify? It would
definitely show our students how professionals act as a community and that
is of great value. The IGDA is currently thinking of new ways to increase
membership, creating different levels of access, I don't want educators
finding that they are left out. Do you have any thoughts?

Looking forward to the discussion,

Susan

--
Susan Gold
goldfile at gmail.com

³In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom!² - J. G. Ballard