[game_edu] Education Membership and Chapters?

S. Gold goldfile at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 12:49:36 EDT 2008

On 4/8/08 11:08 AM, "Ian Schreiber" <ai864 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm based in Columbus, where we have *mostly* students and educators and very

> few industry professionals, so our chapter has the opposite problem :)

> For other areas, I'd advocate NOT having a separate chapter for educators --

> this would only serve to further distance academia from industry. Rather, give

> local chapters incentive to include nearby students and educators in their

> meetings and discussions.

Actually there are two chapters in the states that I know of that will not
allow students. Plus, of the 90 or so educators that I found in Boston, only
a few had ever attended an IGDA chapter meeting in their town as the
topics/subjects do not help them create collaborations, they only have the
opportunity to network. I was thinking of an education chapter as providing
those types of opportunities, plus sharing experiences ­ exercises -
demonstrations, possibly have professional development that sort of thing.
Also, I was thinking an ed chapter would be in addition to, not to replace
an IGDA chapter. Also, probably meeting only twice a year as opposed to
monthly. Could also be a student work showcase... that type of thing. Just
ideas of course.

Susan

--
Susan Gold
goldfile at gmail.com

³In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom!² - J. G. Ballard