[game_edu] Position Announcement (Computer Science) at Dakota State University

steve graham skg at dsu.edu
Wed Apr 9 22:49:26 EDT 2008

If you'd like more information, feel free to contact me. I am a Computer
Scientist, so I can tell you exactly what we are looking for in this
position.

A couple of related points which may be worth considering. DSU is also
in the process of putting together a Masters in Entertainment
Technology. There may be opportunities to contribute to that program as
well.

FWIW, I am a relative newcomer to South Dakota. I left the University of
Kansas to come here not quite four years ago. I've found I love South
Dakota and DSU. Happy to extoll it's virtues to anyone interested.

Please contact me or apply as soon as possible if you are interested in
this position.

cheers,
skg

steve graham
computer science
dakota state university
skg at dsu.edu
605-480-6603 (m)

----

Dakota State University invites applications for a full-time,
tenure-track faculty position for Fall 2008 to support the university's
new degree program in Game Development and Design, offered jointly by
the College of Arts and Sciences and the College of Business and
Information Systems. Requirements: earned doctorate or appropriate
terminal degree (ABD considered) in game design, computer science or
related field, demonstrated excellence as a classroom instructor at the
undergraduate level, and experience teaching with technology. Teaching
and students are a priority for the University. A strong record of
scholarly or creative activity is required and background in student
advisement, course and program development, committee work and other
service to the university and community is preferred.

For this position in the College of Business and Information Systems, an
interest in graphics programming, game development, or a related field
is preferred. Teaching responsibilities could include courses directly
linked to the game development program as well as courses linked to
Computer Science, Computer and Network Security, Computer Information
Systems. Current faculty expertise includes data mining, graphics,
programming languages, networking, security, and database systems. In
addition to undergraduate degrees, the college also offers master's
level programs in information systems and information assurance and a
Doctorate of Science in Information Systems.

DSU is South Dakota's computer technology and education institution
(http://www.dsu.edu). Because of its focus on technology, students and
faculty use wireless tablets, with a wireless network accessible
throughout campus. Instructional use of the wireless tablets,
projectors, and other computer technology is expected in the classroom.

DSU is located in Madison, South Dakota in the southern lakes region of
the state. The region boasts abundant recreational outdoor activities
and a life-style possible only in smaller towns and rural communities:
low crime rate, short commuting time, excellent schools. Madison is just
a 50-minute drive from Sioux Falls, the largest city in South Dakota.
Madison and DSU have a track record of outstanding cooperation,
evidenced by exceptional recreational and entrepreneurial resources.

The University is dedicated to developing a faculty which reflects
cultural diversity and is strongly committed to the recruitment, hiring
and retention of minority candidates. We urge individuals from
under-represented groups to apply.