[game_edu] SL, games & Edu

John Jamison jjamison at imagilearning.com
Fri Dec 12 16:05:05 EST 2008

Hello everyone,

After working in education for 30 years, and being a gamer for longer, I've
been quite familiar with the reactions of traditional
educators/administrators to "games". Shaking their heads at the hours "those
kids" spent playing games, and making polite, yet derogatory comments about
games and gamers has been par for the course. When I spent time directing a
national academic program on game and simulation programming, my fellow
academics thought I had completely lost my senses, along with my
credibility.

It has been fascinating to have spent the past four years working in the
virtual environment of Second Life, watching many of those same people enter
that environment and begin taking on those same behaviors they spent so much
time criticizing. For a number of reasons, academics have begun adopting the
virtual world environment, seeing it as a potential avenue for expanding
their traditional activities...and in the process, many of them have begun
experiencing some of the same non-traditional engagement and passion they
did not understand from gamers. In my work with them during the past four
years, many have stepped-up to admit they "just didn't understand", but now
are beginning to sense some of what game is all about.

The result of this learning on my part has led to completion of my PhD on
the experience of traditional educators immersed into the virtual world, and
the creation of a learning opportunity for traditional educators interested
in gaining some of that understanding. As we wrap up the final weeks of the
Fall 2008 SLemester, I wanted to pass along one last announcement for the
Spring 2009 edition. This is not just a class, or a workshop, but a 4 month
long learning community designed to have the participants work together in a
structured orientation to the virtual world environment. The goal of the
SLemester is not just learning about virtual worlds, or debating if they are
"game" or not. The goal is to immerse traditional educators in a structured
introduction to an environment that, for many, replicates that of the
digital gamer. I am convinced there is no way to understand it other than by
"being" in it. Full information follows.

If you have questions, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks for your time,

VB/John

*Spend the SLemester (R) with imagiLEARNING!*

imagiLEARNING, Inc. is happy to announce open registration for the Spring
2009 *SLemester *(R) immersive learning experience in Second Life.
The *SLemester
(R)* is a four month professional development experience that includes:

- Participation in weekly discussion sessions, including some of the most
creative and successful Second Life community members.
- Access to tutorials, learning modules and resources about Second Life.
- Interaction with the community of learners taking part in the *SLemester
(R).*
- A growing collection of resources in and out of Second Life, including
the holodeck, artificial intelligence bots, media screens and more.
- Personal consultation throughout the 4 months, with a 3 year citizen of
Second Life with a PhD in orientation to virtual worlds.
- A plot of land on the imagiLEARNING Island Chain for the duration of
the *SLemester (R).*

Learning the basic skills of Second Life is only one of the challenges
facing individuals interested in exploring the use of virtual worlds for
learning and business. If they hope to create the most meaningful
environments and experiences, newcomers must also develop an understanding
of the culture represented by the virtual world and its impact on business,
learner and educator alike. The activities of the *SLemester (R)* are designed
to do just that. Major topics explored during the 4 months include:

- *The Foundations of the Digital Culture*: Exploration of the flattening
globe, ubiquitous communication and access to information, brain research
and neuroplasticity, games and game-based learning, business and
instructional alignment, and other topics that define the experience of the
digital culture.
- *The Basics of Second Life*: Exploration of those things like movement,
communication, inventory and the economy.
- *The Tools of Second Life*: Exploration of building and scripting.
- *The Resources of Second Life*: Looking at the use and creation of
media, interactivity with the web and other sources.
- *The Role of Second Life*: Serious consideration of how Second Life
might fit into the learning experience; considering both the strengths and
weaknesses of today's virtual worlds.
- *The Experience of Second Life*: The personal side…a serious reflection
on why we like it…why we don't…why it hooks the emotions…and how all of that
can help us use it to create meaningful learning.
- *The Selling of Second Life*: For those who want to move further, an
intentional approach to introducing virtual worlds to traditional leaders
and administrators to gain their support for using Second Life in the
institution.

*Just what is the SLemester?*

Beginning in January and ending in April, *SLemester (R)* participants will
have their own land space in Second Life on which they can create, learn and
teach as they wish. They can have as much time to themselves as they want,
or join with other participants to share ideas and learn from each other.
They will have access to a collection of tools, tutorials, media streams and
more. And each participant will have ongoing opportunity for individualized
time and interaction with Virtual Bacon, 3+ year citizen of Second Life, 25
year veteran of faculty and business development, and who has a PhD in
Education focusing on the experience of orienting newcomers to Second Life
and the virtual worlds.

In addition to Second Life, during the *SLemester (R)*, participants will
receive and use a wide variety of tools such as blogs, holodecks, artificial
intelligence bots, wiki's, RSS feeds, Podcasts and more. More importantly,
rather than simply learning *about* things like digital media, participants
will learn to create and stream their own podcasts and other digital
resources into Second Life.

The *SLemester (R)* is open to individuals with or without prior Second Life
experience. To provide the highest level of support, leading to a high
quality learning experience, registrations will be limited to 12
participants during each term. Registration will remain open until the
session begins in January, or all places are filled.

The imagiLEARNING *SLemester*, Spring 2009

$275 per participant

Email: jjamison at imagilearning.com

In SL contact: Virtual Bacon

--
John Jamison, PhD.
jjamison at imagilearning.com
217.416.4506
Skype: virtualbacon
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jjamison

Second Life
"Virtual Bacon"
http://slurl.com/secondlife/imagiLEARNING/22/24/22

"Do not confine your children to your own learning.
For they were born in another time."
- Hebrew Proverb