[game_edu] Ad Hoc committee

Burke, Robin rburke at cti.depaul.edu
Thu Feb 28 11:26:23 EST 2008

(I apologize if this message appears twice. My previous attempt did not appear on the list - I think because of an address mismatch issue. Trying again.)

I really do not understand why this issue keeps moving forward despite the total lack of publicly-stated interest from the SIG membership. I've not heard word one in support of this idea on the mailing list, yet according to this email, it has already been decided that such a stamp of approval will be created, the only question being what the requirements will be. There's been "a large offline discussion." By whom? Why is such an important topic unable to be discussed in the only public forum that we have as a SIG?

I believe that we should not have or be a party to creating such a curricular oversight process, whatever you choose to call it. My reasons are as follows:

* As I said at the town hall meeting, "regulatory capture". Let us imagine school X that invests as little as possible in its educational programs and seeks to turn a big profit. School X discovers that the IGDA stamp of approval program exists and can be used as a marketing tool. Suddenly it is in the interests of School X to meet the "letter of the law" requirements of the stamp of approval, and furthermore to become heavily involved in the formulation of those requirements to make sure that its own curriculum passes muster. It will be far more cost effective for School X to lobby / infiltrate the regulatory body than to actually improve its curriculum. This is the wrong incentive structure to create.

* Game development means different things to different people. We are so early in the process of teaching this discipline that it is very pre-mature to say that we know how to do it right. Just because people get jobs in the industry does not mean that we are doing it right. 50 years from now, when we see who has created the real innovations in the field, then we'll know if we were doing it right.

I totally disagree with the premise that some other organization will commandeer this process if we don't. That is just fear-mongering. There are lots of academic disciplines / sub-disciplines out there that have no formal or informal accreditation. It is the exception more than the norm.

We need to let a thousand flowers bloom, especially now when things are just getting started. Sure, there will be some dross, that's inevitable. If we have a stamp of approval, there will also be dross, but then it will "approved" dross and that will make us look bad. And there will be great, innovative programs that don't meet the bar for whatever reason and that will also make us look bad and generate resentment.

Why are we doing this?!?!?!?

robin
=:-{)
http://josquin.cti.depaul.edu/~rburke/

"The universe is made of stories, not of atoms" - Muriel Rukeyser