[game_edu] Ad Hoc committee

Sarah_Lemarie at scee.net Sarah_Lemarie at scee.net
Thu Feb 28 12:49:12 EST 2008

Hi folks,

I always feel woefully short of time to contribute something as well
structured as I would like, but I can see a great debate forming here, and
I wanted to quickly share some insight from what I've seen in the UK.

Those of you UK-based may already know of Skillset;
(www.skillset.org/games). Briefly, as the skills council for UK audio
visual industries, they outlined an accreditation scheme for game
programming, art and design courses which piloted almost 2 years ago.

I had the privilege of working on the evaluation rounds and was very
encouraged by what I saw. As much as I appreciate the points Robin is
making about the dangers of approving dross, there is a flipside; if you
do nothing, it's even harder for students and industry to figure out where
to focus their attention when they want to work with talent, and the
number of courses touting a 'games' element is booming.

The advantage of Skillset leading the process here was that it was hard
for academia to influence the process too strongly themselves for their
own interests, although they were involved, as it was mainly driven by a
panel from industry, who were quite frank and open about the skills they'd
find helpful in new graduates that they take onboard. The design stream
was tough and I think has yet to mature to a point where accreditation is
easier to manage; they decided to revisit their guidelines in light of the
experience. Chris' response regarding design (on this list) touches on
that problem too.

Further, the accreditation was not simply about rubber stamping courses;
it was about facilitating contact with industry, which is often so hard to
establish. Those who are accredited receive a benefits package arranged by
Skillset of master classes and other events where academia and industry
come together to talk, and help keep these courses current. I think that's
quite an important factor and maybe something to consider here too.

While it does take effort and time for universities to put together their
applications, I would hope that they would find the process insightful and
at least manage to obtain some contact with industry through it - the
feedback and opportunity to perhaps even use the results to leverage more
resources out of their university.

>From what I saw, the pilot process was very positive. Skillset set the bar

pretty high and accredited very few courses, but for those who went
through the process, I would hope they found it beneficial and would
intend to continue participating in the future.

I agree that it's perhaps not ideal for academia to directly establish
accreditation standards, but certainly as a way to get courses and
industry in contact, and both committing to improving industry support and
course content, I think it can make a difference.

It certainly had everyone around the panel in Skillset asking us to get
more devkits into universities - and now that's what we're doing. No
coincedence!

I perceive that the membership of this list quite strongly consists of
academic staff - but perhaps with enough feelers out to the industry
members too, a good balance of panel members would help ensure an unbiased
and valuable contribution.

Sarah.
---
Sarah Lemarié
Infrastructure Manager & Academic Liaison
Technology Group, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe
t: +44 (0)20 7911 7743 e: sarah_lemarie at scee.net
w: www.technology.scee.net
If you have received this email in error please notify postmaster at scee.net
This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked for
all known viruses.
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited
Registered Office: 10 Great Marlborough Street, London W1F 7LP, United
Kingdom
Registered in England: 3277793