[game_edu] Classroom Technology Question

Anne Marie Gruber AMGruber at dbq.edu
Wed Jan 2 10:01:23 EST 2008

Tom et al,
At University of Dubuque, we have used SyncronEyes in our information literacy program for about a year and a half and we have been very happy with it. It was fairly easy to learn for librarians who teach research skills. The only drawback is a slight delay in the demos reaching student screens, but that isn't much of a problem. (Generally our students are using web-based applications, databases, etc. so I'm not sure how SynchronEyes would work with other types of apps/programs.)

You might look at the a review of various similar software:
http://www.ala.org/ala/acrlbucket/is/iscommittees/webpages/teachingmethods/classroomcontrol.cfm

*Note: Our information literacy staff don't (and won't) talk about these programs as "control software". SynchronEyes is a pedagogy tool for us, something to aid teaching in a positive way that increases student engagement. We have encouraged our technology staff to follow suit when they publicize it to faculty.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions from my experience. Good luck!

AM

Anne Marie Gruber
Reference & Instruction Librarian/
Liaison to Computer Graphics & Interactive Media
Charles C. Myers Library
University of Dubuque

Email address: AMGruber at dbq.edu
Office phone: (563) 589-3849