[game_edu] something to talk about in class - Teachers Primer

S. Gold goldfile at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 11:11:19 EDT 2008

Last night I found myself catching up with several friend's blogs. There was
much discussion over the recent North-American, Australian, South-Korean, UK
and Caribbean teachers¹ (CTF) chorus of opposition to a video game
(Rockstar's Bully, Scholarship Edition) and subsequent call for ban.
http://www.ctf-fce.ca/e/news/news.asp?id=1204747953. I have read several
items on the subject, but wanted to point everyone to the best response I
have read (by Clint Hocking):
http:/clicknothing.typepad.com/click_nothing/2008/03/a-teachers-prim.html

You can also read Ian Bogost's article on the actual game:
http://seriousgamessource.com/features/feature_110206_bully_1.php

Besides this being very topical and a great ongoing discussion with students
on censorship and design responsibility, Clint points to some staples in the
community that I am not sure you have seen or accessed and wanted you to
know about them:

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/19990716/design_tools_01.htm
Doug Church's article on Formal Abstract Design Tools

http://www.cs.northwestern.edu/~hunicke/MDA.pdf
MDA Framework

Susan
--
Susan Gold
goldfile at gmail.com

³In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom!² - J. G. Ballard