[game_edu] game education in k-12

S. Gold goldfile at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 12:19:31 EDT 2008

I received a paper from an educator trying to motivate and educate middle
school students using games. I know we have some k-12 educators on our list
and wanted to share it with them as well as the rest of our membership.

Repenning, A. and Ioannidou, Broadening Participation through Scalable Game
Design
<http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~ralex/papers/PDF/ScalabeDesign_SIGCSE2008.pdf>
, ACM Special Interest Group on Computer Science Education Conference,
(SIGCSE 2008), (Portland, Oregon USA), ACM Press.

As we all know, science and technology is suffering a shortage of graduates,
an issue that many of our classrooms have been impacted by and ultimately
concern all of our membership. Currently the games arena is being used as an
area to capture young minds and interests that will hopefully guide them
into careers in science, math and technology.

Should we start a wiki page where we can archive materials like these? Other
than an archive, how else might we begin to assist our peers in k-12?

Susan
--
Prof. Susan Gold
Chair, IGDA Education SIG

³In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom!² - J. G. Ballard