[game_edu] Where to post academic job offers?

Ian Bogost digra at bogost.com
Fri Mar 21 17:46:38 EDT 2008

On Mar 21, 2008, at 1:23 PM, Ian Schreiber wrote:

> Interesting point, and one that saddens me. Here's the problem with

> a residency requirement, speaking as someone seeking growth in my

> own academic career: the number of terminal degrees in game design

> is shockingly small, and there's no guarantee that any of them exist

> within a 500-mile radius of wherever you happen to live. More

> traditional disciplines don't have this problem; if I want a Ph.D.

> in Computer Science, the university down the street from me probably

> has one.

Keep in mind that when a university looking for a game design prof
looks for a terminal degree, they often care very little what field it
is in. In fact, I'd wager it would almost be better if the degree were
in a tangential field for breadth and to allow camaraderie with other
programs.

> To begin with, it's difficult for experienced game developers to

> take the plunge and leave full-time game development for full-time

> teaching. Add the constraint that you need to first take a few years

> getting a terminal degree (with requisite pay cut), and it becomes

> darn near impossible for most working professionals. With the

> additional constraint that you have to move across the country to

> get the degree in the first place... see where I'm going with this?

Right, so, I'd probably look for a degree program in the area I want/
need to live in that I could make work for my interests and career
goals.

> Rather than say "online-only degrees aren't taken seriously",

> perhaps it should be rephrased as a question: how can we ensure that

> online-only degrees ARE taken seriously? That is, if we're all

> serious about getting more tenure-track positions open for people

> with industry experience.

I doubt this will happen very quickly. Universities are conservative,
even stodgy places.

Ian Bogost
Georgia Tech / Persuasive Games