[game_edu] Online-only degrees (was Re: Where to post academic job offers?)

Ian Bogost digra at bogost.com
Sun Mar 30 10:47:42 EDT 2008

On Mar 29, 2008, at 8:47 PM, Yusuf Pisan wrote:

> "Academia" is a beast with multiple heads, so generalizations can be

> misleading and it might be necessary to look at what institution or

> what type of institution one would like to work at before starting to

> pursue a degree. I think to understand the value of an online-MFA, we

> need to look at different institutions and their attitude towards

> research and their expectation of faculty members.

I think this is very right, as is the subsequent typology, which I've
omitted here.

I'd also like to point out that not all institutions treat the MFA
(online or not) as a satisfactory terminal degree for all purposes.
This is not a judgement of value, but a statement of fact. As Yusuf
suggests, It's best to target one type of institution and keep in mind
the idiosyncrasies of each individual one.

Ian Bogost
Georgia Tech / Persuasive Games