[game_edu] inquiry from the press

George D. Phillies phillies at WPI.EDU
Fri Oct 10 21:02:23 EDT 2008

> I'm curious. What is the legal basis a school can claim IP ownership? Do

> the students sign a contract (which begs the question of consideration) or

> are there specific laws out there that cover this situation?

> Mark

There is iirc at least one Supreme Court decision. My university (WPI)
years ago created a detailed intellectual property set of rules covering
everything we could think of, including as I remember copyright, personal
likeness rights, other rights (e.g., film, lunch box), mask rights, and
dealing with faculty on grants, faculty not on grants, faculty on issues
not related to their department, students outside of and in classes doing
classes, etc.

I do not have a URL for it; it is pre reliable-web-site display.

George Phillies