[game_edu] Localisation

Tom Dowd tomdowd at ameritech.net
Sat Oct 25 11:42:43 EDT 2008

I completely agree with Ian’s perspective on this. We cover it as an aspect
of our fundamental game development course, primarily as an information
point, and then it comes up again a time or two again in other classes. I
know that the current Little Big Planet incident was discussed in multiple
classes, not only from the perspective of technology, but of music
licensing, content vetting, and cultural considerations. The requirement to
localize the current senior capstone project into Spanish was part of their
project spec this year, but we have four concentrations of students working
on the project – design, programming, art/animation, and sound – so I think
it is more feasible for them, as per Ian’s comments.

That said, and don’t tell them this, but given that they are already having
to deal with a somewhat overscheduled project I expect it to be dropped as a
feature at the last minute
or maybe not. A couple of them are already
working on a string management tool for the designers to ease the pipeline.
So, we shall see

Tom Dowd

Columbia College Chicago