[game_edu] kids using scientific method in games

Ian Schreiber ai864 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 12 13:27:37 EDT 2008

As a side note, game *development* also does this. What scientists call the "scientific method," we call the "iterative process" or "agile development" but it's all the same thing.

Game design / science
Hypothesis: I think this game is going to be fun! (Or balanced.)
Experiment: Build the game and playtest it, and see that it actually sucks.
Analysis: Why did it suck? How could you improve it?
Iterate: Change the game rules to make it better, go back to Hypothesis.

QA / science
Hypothesis: I think this code I wrote is correct and free of bugs.
Experiment: Test the code. (What we call "black box testing" is what scientists call a "double-blind study")
Analysis: What are the bugs that were found? What caused the errors?
Iterate: Modify the code to remove the known bugs. (This may involve a mini-scientific discovery process to track down the reason for some particularly tricky bugs.)

Concept Art / science
Hypothesis: I think this concept sketch will make a great main character.
Experiment: Show the sketch to the rest of the development team to find out that you're actually way off the mark.
Analysis: What were other people expecting? What did you fail to deliver?
Iterate: Make a new sketch with the feedback in hand, and try again.

- Ian