[game_edu] update on SIG?

S. Gold goldfile at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 00:59:39 EDT 2008

In the process of moving to my new job in Vancouver where I will be joining
the faculty of the Master of Digital Media Program. I will send out an
update shortly... in the meantime I am looking for help with the Global Game
Jam (http://globalgamejam.org).

The Global Game Jam is meant to be a simultaneous event going on within the
same 48 hours around the world. We have picked the weekend of January 30 ­
February 1, 2009. We will change one of the game constraints in each time
zone, mixing things up for everyone and hopefully making for creative and
unique games.

Currently we have found hosting sites in Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Cape Town,
Charlotte, Copenhagen, Derby, Detroit, Hanover, LA, Melbourne, Netherlands,
NYC, Orlando, Paris, Perth, Pittsburgh, Portsmouth, Rio de Janeiro, Santa
Cruz, Savannah, Sault Ste Marie, Sydney, Rochester, Toronto, Vancouver. We
have managed to come up with over 25 different host sites throughout the
world, on every continent except Antarctica. Of course we are looking for
more cities to host local game jams. We have several sites pending that we
hope will confirm shortly, those are in Beijing, San Francisco, Seattle. We
have done outreach to Eastern Europe and Latin America, but answers are slow
in coming. If anyone has connections in those areas we would appreciate
assistance in getting the word out.

We have also recruited some great developers to help us create the
constraints and mechanics of the GGJ... Jon Blow, Brenda Brathwaite, Doug
Church, Chris Hecker, Gorm Lai, Ian Schrieber, Miguel Sicart and Eric
Zimmerman. We have reached out to organizers of game jams around the world
and invited them to participate in organizing our event.

Although the initiative was developed by the Education SIG and being hosted
at educational institutions, this project is meant as an opportunity to
promote the mission of the IGDA, improving developer's careers through
community, professional development and advocacy. Further, the Ed SIG's
mission also adds... to enhance the education of future and current game
developers.

If you are interested in helping us with things such as PR, sponsorships,
swag ideas, etc... We would love to build on the committee. Email me and we
will find you a project.

All my best,

Susan

On 9/12/08 10:56 PM, "Tim Langdell" <langdell at gmail.com> wrote:

> So can someone -- Susan?? -- give us an update on the SIG pls? Do we have a

> presence at GDC SF in the Spring? What else is going on? And how can we mere

> mortals help out?

> Tim

> Tim Langdell PhD

> Co-Chair

> Department of Media

> National University

Susan Gold
goldfile at gmail.com

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
Oscar Wilde