[game_edu] Game studies and the economy

Scott Maddock smaddock at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 13:04:39 EDT 2009

Anecdotally...

I understand that the career fair at the GDC was considerably smaller than
it was last year (I wasn't in attendance last year, but it's something I
heard from multiple sources who were present then and now). I know of at
least one school with a dedicated game development program that was supposed
to see at least four new hires directly into the program faculty, but was
then denied such because of the economic hardship.

A number of companies have had non-trivial layoffs in the last few months,
or are threatening to go under. Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment, developer
of the Stargate Worlds MMO, all but *did* go under, but has since managed to
find some investors and appears to be on track again.

Midway, I think we all know about. Big Huge Games also seems to be in
trouble. EA and Activision have both laid off large numbers.

In short, I think the whole industry is feeling the pinch to some degree, in
the professional and academic sectors.